Thursday 22 October 2015

MunkeeBonez - The Backstory, how we got here.

I thought I'd tell a little story today, about how I came to become a computer programming sort of guy.

In a time long long ago, I was a boy with a computer. My first computer was a commodore c64, and I loved it to death. I played games for hours on it, wrote little basic programs that printed that "Dave Rules!" over and over again on the screen and fell in love. It was a deep fascination that deepened further when I got my hands on this badboy depicted to your left. It was a cartridge that allowed me to freeze a running program and look at the memory, seeing all the beautiful machine language that made it go.

This opened up a rather large can of worms, one that began a life long journey of learning that led me to now. I became enamored with something called the "Demo Scene" amateur programmers artists and musicians would get together and release small programs that showcased what they could do with the computer. On a commodore c64, not surprisingly it wasn't all that much it was far too slow a machine. However it was pretty amazing what you could make that thing do.

If you fast forward to the present day, a much older version of myself has kept up his curiousity learning along the way much more modern programming, better music production and better art tools.

What has been released so far on android is just an extension of that original "genesis moment" way back when I was a young 11 year old computer enthusiast.


2 comments:

  1. The C=64 had loads of RAM too, if you knew where to steal it from. POKE data into the tape-drive buffer, print buffer, joystick buffer, anything you weren't using at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely did have a lot more fun tricks you could play with. I often comment with people who were around then on how, its almost too easy these days

    ReplyDelete